New Seed Theatre is seeking actors for their production of the new play Elijah. When a prophet leading a revolution finds himself at odds with the God he believes he’s fighting for, Elijah must re-evaluate and wrestle with his faith, his enemies, and his grief before it all becomes meaningless.
All faith traditions (or lack thereof) are welcome. A draft of the script is available to preview upon request.
We’re looking for 5 cast members. Listed are major parts. A few minor parts will also be doubled into these roles.
- Elijah: M 25-40. A rebellious artist/prophet and leader trying to lead a revolution. Though he starts as an idealistic, true believer, he’s grown cynical. Despite this he can’t let go.
- Obediah: M 25-40. A pragmatic artist/prophet in the court and Elijah’s old friend. He’s a nice guy in the wrong place at the wrong time.
- Becky/Vocalist: 20-30. Becky – F. Elijah’s sister. A prophet in her own right. Vocalist – Sings at various points through the production.
- Isabel/Elisha: 20-40. Isabel – F. Widow and mother who houses Elijah. From starvation and being forced to “know her place”, she finds and uses her tenaciousness to stand toe to toe among prophets and gods. Elisha – M. A young, enthusiastic artist/prophet’s apprentice.
- Ahab: M 35-60. The hated king. He’s like a strong CEO who came up through sales. He can be kind, even affectionate, but he’ll also do whatever cut-throat thing needs to be done without seeing a contradiction.
Audition slots are October 10th and 11th between 7pm to 9:30pm.
Sign up for a time slot at signup genius:
What to Prepare
Please prepare a dramatic contemporary monologue (2 minute max)
If interested in playing Becky/Vocalist please be prepared to sing (acapella) part of a traditional song you like. This could be a lullaby, a religious piece, something from your heritage, etc.
Please bring headshot and resume
Possible callbacks would be Saturday Oct 15th between 10am and 2pm (but it is not disqualifying if you are unavailable to make them)
Wheres and Whens
Auditions are at:
Sts. Luke and James
4557 Colfax Ave S, Minneapolis, MN 55419
Auditions will be held in the Nave. Enter through the big, red, windowless doors in the very front. Doors will be labeled.
Rehearsals will start in late January and also take place at Sts. Luke and James. Performances will run between March 3rd and March 26th.
Pay is 8% of revenue with a $300 minimum.
Directed by Carey Morrison
Written by Nathaniel Norton
Visual Design by Alissa Efteland